Thursday, October 30, 2008

She Would Have Been In The 15% Who Flat Out Don't Believe In Them

Many blog entries ago, I ran a poll on belief/disbelief in ghosts. I used to live in a house with one. I knew about it for a long time because of the silly things it did (like placing a sponge onto the middle of the floor), and eventually I ran into it in the hallway (it looked like a horizontal Casper The Friendly, only without facial features). For those who are interested, here's the link to my blog entry on the subject (the poll itself has vanished forever): http://susanbethpfeffer.blogspot.com/2008/01/ghostly-tale.html

My friend Joyce Wadler, who visits me on a fairly regular basis, never believed in my ghost, or anyone else's for that matter. But she's written a very clever article for the New York Times on the problems of haunted houses, so I figured in honor of ghosts past and Halloweens about to happen, I'd provide the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/garden/30haunted.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Just in case nothing interesting happens to me between today and Tuesday, a very real possibility since I'm determined to finish cleaning my apartment, starting with dusting all the books in the den as soon as I finish this entry, and you probably won't be hankering for details about that or about my mother's eye doctor appointment on Monday, Happy Halloween! and Don't Forget To Vote!

I have now officially run out of excuses. Dust We Must!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! My sister has decreed that I clear out books, not just dust. According to her, I've got too many.

Keep me posted on where the new story's heading.

Anonymous Santa Fe

Stephanie Pellegrin said...

While I'm young (22) I've seen many-a-ghost in my day, and had many experiences. I tend to remember my dreams vividly, and they almost always come true. I've seen the ghost of my great-grandfather at my great-grandmother's grave, met what I believe to be my guardian angel, and I met Jesus and older relatives that I had never met (and didn't know I was related to them until I saw them in a photograph years later) in a dream when I was five. I haven't forgotten that dream to this day.

Anonymous said...

Just read your blog on ghost and the NYTimes article.

Love this quote from the Times: "You don’t believe in ghosts? Then you are either tragically out of step with the times or possibly a slovenly spiritual housekeeper looking for an excuse to avoid tidying up."

So, are you avoiding dusting because in reality you are slovenly spiritual housekeeper? :-)

Yeah, I believe in ghost, but I hope I never see one. I like the reality of this world...that's often scary enough for me.

Happy Halloween!!! (Okay...now I must get back to my housework, too!)

Anne M. from Seattle, Washington (where it is pouring rain...oh, my, my...our little trick or treaters are not happy..)

Susan Beth Pfeffer said...

Hi to Anonymous Santa Fe and Texas Pixie and Anne M of Seattle-

I'm just as glad not to have a ghost anymore. It never scared me, but it was kind of a nuisance.

Meanwhile, I've figured out so many different excuses for not finishing the dusting that I may just go into the excuse figuring business. After the election, I'm sure such services will be in great demand!